Adderall XR and 10 day old baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderall XR and 10 day old baby

Hi, my doctor recently restarted me on my pre- pregnancy dosage of 25mg XR and a second 5mg IR dose later in the day. I also take Clonipin .25mg as needed. I have read all the forums that say the medicine transfers into milk avidly, but I need actual advice. Is it okay for me to breastfeed? I know the dosage for the baby is 1-6% of mine, but what does that really mean in terms of it being a good idea or not to nurse my baby? She nurses every 2.5-3 hours. I'm not even going to get into why I need this med so badly or the guilt I feel for being torn about nursing her. My doctor said to just giver her formula but she was using the pregnancy category. Is this a big deal?

Hi, thanks for your post.

Using the pregnancy category is not a good way to judge breastfeeding safety. A fetus and an infant are very different in terms of their needs and vulnerabilities. We discuss ADHD meds in more detail at the link below. The short version is that it is probably safe to breastfeed while on them. Many of our clients have done so successfully.

http://mommymeds.com/content/adhd

Please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question. (806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X