Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• admin
    replied
    Cocaine is rapidly cleared from the body certainly by 24 hours. In this case if the infant has no symptoms then it is surely ok. But just be sure to not do this again.

Tom Hale

Leave a comment:

• Anon
    replied
    Hello,

I am also curious about this subject as I just discovered my sister used a small amount of cocaine Friday night after being told it would clear from her breast milk in a couple of hours. She had drank and apparently wasn’t thinking, then later (2-3 hrs or so) went home to sleep and her 14 month old nursed a few times in the next 24 hours. It has now been 4 days since this, but I am just now finding out about this and she is paranoid her baby could be harmed since she did not wait at least 24 hrs before nursing. He never showed any side effects and has acted normal ever since. Does she need to be worried at this point?

Leave a comment:

• admin-james
    replied
    Hi, thanks for your post.

We recommend that you wait 24 hours before you start breastfeeding again. It is not necessary to discard your milk. Your milk will continue to contain the inactive metabolite of cocaine, benzoecgonine, for quite a while. This metabolite is not dangerous, but it can trigger a positive urine test for cocaine in your infant. This test may be positive for up to 2 weeks.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Leave a comment:

• Ausmum1
    started a topic Cocaine

Cocaine

If you are breastfeeding and used cocaine stupidly as a one off how long should you wait until resuming breastfeeding? Or is it recommend to stop all together and swap the baby to formula?
Working...
X