Focalin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focalin

I'm prescribed 5mg of Focalin for my ADD/ADHD. I am breastfeeding our 1 month old, approx. 10 lbs. My pediatrician said I should take it right before nursing, and then by the next feeding (2-3 hours later) it should be fine to nurse. However, my doctor said I should take it right after nursing, pump & dump 2-3 hours later & feed with prepumped breastmilk, and then it should be fine to nurse at the next feeding. Which is it?

Hi, thanks for your post.

Focalin is safe enough that you could do either one. Less than 1% of what you take makes it to the baby anyway. If you pump and dump, you reduce the medication in the breastmilk by 30-50%. Whichever you choose to do, watch your child for agitation, insomnia, and poor weight gain. In the absence of these symptoms, you can consider the medication safe for your situation; there are no "hidden" dangers of ADHD meds that we know of. If your child does have symptoms, pump-and-dump should be the first solution to the problem, followed by extending the waiting period out to 4-5 hours if that doesn't work.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X