Adderall & pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderall & pregnancy

I am currently taking Adderall 10mg 2x daily. I am not pregnant at this time but thinking about if I want more children. I am a registered nurse and currently in a graduate program. So I really need to continue taking something if I do decide to get pregnant. Is there something that is thought to be safer? I'm in my mid 30's, so I don't want to put off having a baby for to long if I decide to have one.

Thistxgrlrocks:

We do not at this time think that dextroamphetamine is teratogenic. The animal studies suggest minimal fetal effects. That said, we still do not normally recommend moms use dextroamphetamine while pregnant as some studies seem to suggest and increased risk of premature delivery. My advice would be to slowly taper off this drug prior to pregnancy and stay off for at least the first trimester, then the risk would be reduced to some degree.

Its better to go without for a while, than to chance having a problem with the infant during this most vital part of development, during the first trimester. Creating an infant is too important to risk for the benefits of this drug.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Hello,
      I would also like to know more about the risks of taking Aderall during pregnancy. I recently learned I am 6 weeks pregnant and was taking about 10mg a day of Adderall IR. I've since cut down to 5mg but am still concerned about the potential effects the medication will have on my developing fetus. Taking the medication is very beneficial for my productivity and everyday functioning. At such a low dose, do you think the potential risk is minimal?

Comment

Hi, thanks for your post.

A specific relationship between dose and risk has not been established in pregnant women. The available information comes from animal models and a few case reports. I agree with Dr. Hale, the best compromise is to stay off the med at least for the first trimester.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

I am a RN too. I work in postpartum. I delayed motherhood because not taking Adderol was just impossible IF i wanted to keep my job. I make the bulk of the money in my household... so morphing into a stay at home mom is "not in the cards".
          I took 20-30 mg Adderol XR every 6 hours at work. 1900 and 0000 dosages during my work week. I try to work 3 on 1 off 3 on. My husband has 1 week on off schedule so we get our "week" off together.
          I began cutting my dosage to the short acting tabs back in the summer. 15mg BID then 10mg BID... when I started trying to get preg. I told my boss my meds were being reduced. The days after I thought I "might" have conceived I took 5 mg when I woke up to get my ADHD butt in gear and 5 mg when I "stopped caring" at work. I have taken and additional 5mg dose during the night to get through the 12 hr shift.

My doctor was FINE with my above dosage of 10 -15 mg max during my work day.

The hardest part so far is FATIGUE. I figured I would compensate some of my stimulants with a cup o' coffee during lag time... ALAS... EVEN the smell of coffee makes me start dry heaving.
          The Adderol dosage is low enough that I get hungry at work and eat before I take my 0000 dosage.

GOOD LUCK. Us taking our needed meds will help others cause we are not letting other "scare" us into NOT taking it. I know NOT taking it is not an option for me... I just hate it is one of the main reasons I have delayed motherhood. My OBGYN didn't even lecture me on the "harmful side effects" or the "possible harm I was causing my baby" in my prenatal visit. In my head I had build the doctors reactions to be MUCH MUCH worse.
          Last edited by cass-d-shea; 11-02-2014, 06:48 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

CASS-D-SHEA:

How is your pregnancy going ? Hopefully good! I've been reading a lot on this very delicate topic as it pertains to bringing a child into this life and that's about the only thing Ive ever taken for granted. As u know with Adhd u have a compulsive side and u act on it too. So besides learning from many mistakes in my 20's I'm glad Ive had a passion for my career. However whne i was diagnosed in 2009 started me at 60MG which I quickly felt was a lot but didn't say anything since I liked the weight lose. I blamed the serenity and peaceful side to living on my own at the time, but when I lost all the weight I can and I drasticallu got bells palsy which I'm sure you know what it is I freaked out!! I blamed adderall since reading the side affects it mentioned stroke and this is when everything went down hill, more than I had already kinda done to myself pre-adderall. So now after 6 years I'm back on and I feel I made the biggest mistake of m[/EMAIL]y life. Besides my work now taking of in a matter of a month, the one and only man I have ever loved came into my life.. The same man I meet while on adderall xr!!! 6 years ago! Yes it's sad! Sad to know that my compulsive ways pushed him When with adderral I was a very peaceful person. Yes I'm glad his available but no one can take the time. And now we still hVe to start from where we left off. He knows I jump into things so since I've seen him a couple times this month in just letting him know I'm the same woman he fell in love with that made him feel comfortable. Now even though I'm going on 35 this year and kids is all I ever wanted, this is no way to be talked about in this stage. I'm reading this for my knowledge and yes age so whne I read that u regret not started motherhood before I felt like messaging u and saying my story is worse. It's sad. There is a lot of love between is now we have to slowly build on it even though my clock is ticking and even on adderall whne my life is taking off where I can't see me getting off it anytime soon for a baby so low milligrams is good know u can continue taking while pregnant. Right now I feel good that I might ask for 60 mg but I can't go too high if I want to start a family but that's still out of the question right now. Hope ur pregnancy is doing good coming from am RN and having the best people with the best advise on health and your babies well being. Let me know if adderall is doing good and if ur still only taking 20 milligrams. All the best for u, baby and family. Thanks so much. the only thing Ive ever taken for granted. As u know with Adhd u have a compulsive side and u act on it too. So besides learning from many mistakes in my 20's I'm glad Ive had a passion for my career. However whne i was diagnosed in 2009 started me at 60MG which I quickly felt was a lot but didn't say anything since I liked the weight lose. I blamed the serenity and peaceful side to living on my own at the time, but when I lost all the weight I can and I drasticallu got bells palsy which I'm sure what it is I freaked out!! I blamed adderall since reading the side affects it mentioned stroke and this is when everything went down hill, more than I had already kinda done to myself pre-adderall. So now after 6 years I'm back on and I feel I made the biggest mistake of m[/EMAIL]y life. Besides my work now taking of in a matter of a month, the one and only man I have ever loved came into my life.. The same man I meet while on adderall xr!!! 6 years ago! Yes it's sad! Sad to know that my compulsive ways pushed him When with adderral I was a very peaceful person. Yes I'm glad his available but no one can take the time. And now we still hVe to start from where we left off. He knows I jump into things so since I've seen him a couple times this month in just letting him know I'm the same woman he fell in love with that made him feel comfortable. Now even though I'm going on 35 this year and kids is all I ever wanted, this is no way to be talked about in this stage. I'm reading this for my knowledge and yes age so whne I read that u regret not started motherhood before I felt like messaging u and saying my story is worse. It's sad. There is a lot of love between is now we have to slowly build on it even though my clock is ticking and even on adderall whne my life is taking off where I can't see me getting off it anytime soon for a baby so low milligrams is good know u can continue taking while pregnant. Right now I feel good that I might ask for 60 mg but I can't go too high if I want to start a family but that's still out of the question right now. Hope ur pregnancy is doing good coming from am RN and having the best people with the best advise on health and your babies well being. Let me know if adderall is doing good and if ur still only taking 20 milligrams. All the best for u, baby and family. Thanks so much.
            Last edited by Meeagena; 02-27-2015, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I emailed you Meeagena
              BUT for anyone else- my pregnancy has been normal. I was very very nausiated and sick the whole 1st and 1/2 of 2nd trimester. Im at about 25-26 wks now and belly is more prominent. My weight gain is SPOT ON and the last Ultra sound of anatomy was normal everything!!

Lots of kicking keeping me up at bedtime and starting to get the mid back pendulous tummy pain [just ordered a belly belt of Alipress.com to help- coban wrap, ace bandage and bella band combo helping till it arrives !!] Noticed my heart rate more lately at bedtime (when I first started Adderoll in 2008 I had issues with racing heart this was from adderol... but more because of DEHYDRATION and adderoll. Used to work 12 hrs with little stopping to eat or drink... that plus anphetamines is just not good!! However BP increases at 26 weeks and my blood pressures are good so far... so every time I am worried... and want to beat myself up for "how adderoll could be harming my baby" it is debunked by the normal trends my body is sup-post to be demonstrating at this point in pregnancy.
              And yes... I try to take only 10 mg twice a shift. I have the 10mg fast act (they are 20mg that I half) and the 10 mg capsules. On hard shit days I either have a small cup of latte with the dosage.. or a 1/2 serving of Spark (caffinated drink), or I buckle and tak another 2.5-5 mg. So on a bad hard cant focus day when I am really struggling on the lower dose and the fatigue of pregnancy... and I start fading into the old me... who is worthless at work... but is such a fun chatter box... I take extra. Max I ever take in one 24 hr is 15mg and 15mg= 30 total daily dosage. But for the most part I have been doing great on the 20 max dosage.

On my off days I still take none or one dose of 10-15mg to keep the house from going to shit. Off my meds I am like a Tasmanian devil.... you can literally see my path of destruction... and making head way in cleaning is futile!! I don't know- I think it is funny I am so night and day depending if I have taken my meds. I would hate if I was so anal retentive, uptight and rigid to be efficient 24 -7. I would also hate to be the same little girl who tried so hard and always came up short... so she acted out in destructive ways that hurt her and people she loved. I have a balance of being responsible efficient and playful silly fun hot mess

Comment

Working...
              X