dexedrine or breastfeeding choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dexedrine or breastfeeding choice

I have been prescribed Dexedrine for depression which has worked so well in the past. Now I am breastfeeding and terrible postpartum depression and my psychiatrist told me there is no way to take a stimulant safely while breastfeeding and I feel even more depressed since she told me this. I haven't seen Dexedrine discussed here, mainly Adderall ad Ritalin. Is there any information I could take to my doctor that includes Dexedrine? She told me my choice is using Dexedrine for my depression which has helped me do what I need to do, such as just getting up and taking care of my 7 week old, or to stop breastfeeding which I wanted so much to do for my son. Ive heard some risks outweigh benefits but am unsure with this medication & feeling like I'll fail my son if I can't breastfeed. Desperate for recommendation! Thank you!

Dear cloe,

Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine, Adderall) apparently transfers into milk avidly. If this product is used in breastfeeding mothers, the dose should be kept low, and infants should be monitored for agitation, and poor weight gain. Methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta) is probably preferred as the amount that transfers into breastmilk is lower compared to dextroamphetamine. The time the medication is highest in your breastmilk is two hours after the dose so try to avoid breastfeeding during that time if possible. If you have further questions, please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5, CDT.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X