Zyprexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zyprexa

I currently take 200mg Zoloft & 2.5 - 5 Zyprexa before bedtime. My physiatrist said I can still breastfeed, is it safe to do so? Does feeding breastmilk outweigh the risks for my baby (he's 1 month old) what I read online the manufacturer doesn't reccomended BF on it. I have read a lot of info & don't understand the %'s etc. My OB says pump & dump until I get off Zyprexa. What do you reccomend? Thank you in advance-

Dear Worriedmama,

Minimal amounts of both Zyprexa and Zoloft enter breastmilk. They are both compatible with breastfeeding. Observe your infant for sedation. No adverse effects were seen in the breastfeeding infants who were studied. Hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Zyprexa

I took 5mg around 10pm, then I breastfed my baby the following night around 10pm (about 24 hours after I took it) and he seems to be sedated? Is that possible? Is it harmful?

Comment

Dear Worriedmama,

The half-life (time it takes for half of the drug to be eliminated) of olanzapine (Zyprexa) is 21 to 54 hours so it is possible that your infant could be sedated after 24 hours. If you have concerns about your infant being sedated, you should talk with your pediatrician. None of the infants in the studies that were done on olanzapine had observable side effects, but there is certainly the possibility your infant has a sensitivity to the medication.

Sincerely,
        Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
        TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
        X