Saphris/Asenapine (sp?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saphris/Asenapine (sp?)

I am looking for some information on this anti-psychotic drig. Baby is around 5 months old...milk supply is well established. I only have the 2010 book at my disposal and we have the 2014 book on order....I could not find much other than a website saying it increases serum prolactin.

Any information will be helpful. Mom was put on a low dose, has OCD and anxiety. She forgot to tell her MD she was exclusively BF. She called the office back and is waiting on a call for another option. In the meantime, I'd like information to give her, to pass along to the MD.

Thanks in advance,

Dykibra Gaskin, MS, RD, LDN, CLC

Hi, thanks for your post.

There is no published information on how much of this drug gets into breastmilk. However, other members of the same drug family produce low levels and are generally considered safe for use in breastfeeding mothers. We see no theoretical reason why this product would be any different. We have given it an L3 rating ("Probably compatible") in MMM 2014.

As with other antipsychotics, monitor the baby for changes in behavior or wakefulness, and to be sure he is gaining weight appropriately. The long half-life of this product makes it impossible to reduce infant exposure using a breastfeeding schedule. If the baby has problems that can be confidently linked back to this medication, another antipsychotic may be more appropriate or the mother can consider diluting her milk 50/50 with formula.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X