X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluanxol/ Flupenthixol

Fluanxol/ Flupenthixol

Hi

I am currently nursing my three and a half year old baby girl a couple of times per day, mainly in the evening.

I am taking Mirtazipine half a tablet, in the evenings, which I have been on now for almost two weeks.

I need to add in 0.5 mg of Fluanxol/Flupenthixol once daily. In medications and mothers milk it is given an L3 rating I see. Is this safe for my infant if I take it alongside the Mirtazapine ? Or is there a safer choice then Fluanxol/ Flupenthixol??

The Doctor said that she is willing to change it to a safer but similar alternative, for breastfeeding if there is one? I believe this medication is banned in some countries!!!??

And also, can i ask please, what about the side effects of the Fluanxol/ Flupenthixol being higher prolactin serum levels and the fact that I already have very low estrogen levels from breastfeeding and have to use and estrogen cream?

Thanks so much

Nikita:

At 3.5 years postpartum, there's not much risk to any of these drugs. First, the child is much older now and can metabolize drugs well, and lastly, the volume of milk you are producing is greatly reduced, thus the dose transferred to the infant is miniscule.

Flupenthixol has been studied in breastfeeding mothers and the relative infant dose is very low, 0.7% - 1.75% of the maternal dose.

As for elevated prolactin levels, it might actually help you milk production, although this has not been documented.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

That's great, thank you so much.

Could I ask please, do you know why the Fluanxol is banned in some countries?

Thanks very much for your help

Comment

Working...
      X