Breastfeeding while taking Risperdal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding while taking Risperdal?

I'm a first-time mom expecting my little girl in January, and I would love to exclusively breastfeed if it's possible. So far, there are no issues with pregnancy or baby (I just hit 34 weeks). If all stays normal, baby is not preterm and has no health issues, etc, is Risperdal safe to take while breastfeeding?
    I​​​​​ went through so many meds trying to find one that worked and did not give me awful side effects, and so far, Risperdal has been wonderful at treating my Bipolar Disorder and Anxiety, without any side effects. I do not take anything else with it. Of course, if it would be unsafe for baby, I will change. I fully plan on speaking with a pediatrician after birth like my psychiatrist suggested but I was hoping to know if I'd be safe to breastfeed as soon as she's born. Thanks!

bd77690,

Risperdal is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 2.8-9.1% of your dose. The baby was probably exposed to more in utero than what they will get through the breast milk. We would suggest that you can breastfeed on this medication as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor your infant for sedation or irritability, apnea, not waking to feed/poor feeding, extrapyramidal symptoms and weight gain. This may also increase milk production due to the elevation of prolactin.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X