Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

Albenza and 12 week old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albenza and 12 week old

I was wondering if it is safe to continue breastfeeding my 12 week old if I am taking Albenza for a pinworm infection. If not, what would be a good alternative? Thank you!

C2M2EA,

Albenza is rated an L2-limited data probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is only 0.08-0.82% of your dose. Milk levels are unlikely to be clinically relevant. Commonly used in infants and children.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Great, thanks. What about Mebendazole? My doctor prescribed me that after I thought she would give me Albenza.

Comment

C2m2ea:

Mebendazole is poorly absorbed orally. In one patient who received 100 mg twice daily for three days, milk production was drastically reduced.[1] However in another report of four postpartum breastfeeding mothers who received 100 mg twice daily for 3 days, milk levels of mebendazole were undetectable in one patient sample. No change in milk production was noted in the latter study.[2] Considering the poor oral absorption and high protein binding, it is unlikely that mebendazole would be transmitted to the infant in clinically relevant concentrations.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
        X