Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARBs suitable for breastfeeding

Hi,
    recently I was confirmed to have high blood pressure. I took labetalol (beta blockers), nifedipine (calcium blockers), and enalapril (ACE inhibitors). All of them caused terrible headaches for me. I wish to try ARBs. Are there any suitable ones for breastfeeding? Is telmisartan suitable if I need to take it long term (40 mg per day). My baby is 13 months.
    Last edited by genikitty; 03-24-2022, 08:42 AM.

Hi genikitty,

Unfortunately, no ARBs have been studied in breastfeeding. There is some potential for risk, but with a 13-month-old the benefits might outweigh the risks. The greatest risk is thought to be when the infant is very young and may still be developing kidney function, and your baby is well past that. Breastfeeding has a dose-intense response in improving women's blood pressure later in life--the more you breastfeed, the more you lower your risk for high blood pressure and cardiac events later on.

If you would like to discuss more specifics of your situation, feel free to call the InfantRisk Call Center to talk with a nurse M-F 8-5 CST at 1 (806) 352-2519.

Best,
    Dr. Kaytlin Krutsch, PharmD

Comment

Working...
    X