Safe meds for bad head cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe meds for bad head cold

I have a bad head cold. Bad congestion, stuffy nose, can't breathe, but my nose drips. I also have a sore throat from the drainage and a headache . Most OTC meds for colds have ingredients in them to treat cough and chest congestion which I don't have. What is safe for me to take to just treat my symptoms? I'm nursing a 4 month old.

Dear Ann,

Oxymetazoline is a good choice for stuffy nose. One of the brand names is Afrin nasal spray. Because it is topically applied, it is unlikely to enter breastmilk in clinically relevant amounts. Oxymetazoline may be used for 3 days. For the post nasal drip, one of the newer antihistamines such as ceterizine (Zyrtec), loratadine (Claritin) or fexofenadine (Allegra) is a good choice as they are less sedating compared to some of the older antihistamines. You should still observe your infant for sedation. The time these antihistamines are highest in your milk is about one to two hours after taking one of them so breastfeed first then take your dose and wait past two hours to breastfeed again to decrease the risk of sedation. Make sure to get the plain antihistamine (without decongestant). Decongestants such as pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) have a risk of decreasing milk supply. For headache pain, acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) are good choices while breastfeeding. Ibuprofen has the least amount that gets into breastmilk, but acetaminophen is still a good choice. No more than 3000 mg of acetaminophen should be taken in 24 hours to prevent liver toxicity. Ibuprofen has a low risk of causing GI symptoms and bleeding, but your infant should be observed for these symptoms. If you are not feeling better in a few days or have high fever, you should seek medical care. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 02-22-2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X