Cimetidine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cimetidine

I was prescribed cimetidine 300mg to take prior to my CT starting at 18 hrs before the procedure and then 2 more 300mg pills at the scheduled times. I'm also to take 1 25mg prednisone pill alongside the cimetidine. Can I breastfeed while taking these medications and when can I resume breastfeeding after my CT scan?

Momof3boys,

Cimetidine transfers to milk in relatively high levels and seems to concentrate in milk, although no adverse effects are reported. The amount transferred into breast milk ranges from 9.8-32.6% of your dose. Cimetidine is probably suitable for use during lactation since it can be used in pediatric patients at higher doses. Short-term use (days) would not be incompatible with breastfeeding, but with long term use a different Histamine-2 antagonists such as ranitidine and famotidine would be preferred since they are minimally transferred into human milk. Try and avoid the first 2 hours to breastfeed after each dose.

Prednisone at 25mg administered only once should pose no problem in the breastfed infant.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by Sandra; 07-27-2015, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X