Benadryl topical cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benadryl topical cream

I have a patient who had copious colostrum during pregnancy (had to change her clothes due to dripping) and also could hand express colostrum easily on days 1 and 2. After using topical Benadryl on her back for itching, the baby became very sleepy, would not feed, wasn't jaundiced, and mother's milk virtually dried up over night. She could express less than 2 ml after using Benadryl cream twice on her back. There didn't seem to be any explanation for mother's milk going away except for loss of stimulation, and mother began pumping with a Symphony when baby refused breast. Still only 2ml of milk could be expressed. M&MM says only anecdotal info is available about Benadryl's impact on milk supply after it was established, but I'm wondering if there are any studies of Benadryl actually inhibiting LGII when given in the early postpartum days. I find that ALL mothers here who receive Benadryl (orally) before LGII go home without any milk and have attributed this to the Benadryl. Never have I seen this kind of result from topical Benadryl, but it makes sense. Any comments to add to this phenomenon?

Terri Lear, IBCLC

Dear Terri,
    Dr. Hale is interested in speaking with you. Would you be able to call us at your earliest convenience? Our number is (806)352-2519. Thanks and we are looking forward to hearing from you.
    Sincerely,
    Maria Milla, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Benadryl

Originally posted by mmilla View Post
      Dear Terri,
      Dr. Hale is interested in speaking with you. Would you be able to call us at your earliest convenience? Our number is (806)352-2519. Thanks and we are looking forward to hearing from you.
      Sincerely,
      Maria Milla, MD
      InfantRisk Center
      Yes. I'm in EST zone. Will call you mid-morning. Thanks.

Terri Lear

Comment

Topical Benadryl

It seems there is going to be more studies about oral benadryl but I would like to hear if it is possible for a mom with a 4month old to use topical benadryl without either causing cocern for baby or milk supply.
        Please help?

Comment

Dear garciazi,

There are no data documenting decrease in milk supply with oral benadryl. Because topical benadryl would enter plasma in lower quantities than the oral preparation, the risk would be even more remote. Available data on decongestant medications such as pseudoephedrine have reported mothers who experienced decreased milk supply with their use; therefore their use should be limited during breastfeeding.

Sincerely,
          Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
          TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
          X