Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

deep hacking cough - safe cough medicine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deep hacking cough - safe cough medicine?

I've had a deep hacking cough for almost two weeks now. I tried getting through it with limited cough drops but it's only getting worse. This is affecting my 13 month old's nursing and sleeping because I can't stop coughing. Is there anything OTC I can take? I have a dr appt today too so if there is a prescription that is safer, please advise.

I thought I could use Dlsyum (sp?) but after checking with local pharmacist, he said no.

Hi, thanks for your post.

Unfortunately, there isn't much OTC that works on coughs. Delsym syrup is a drug called dextromethorphan. It doesn't work particularly well, but it is very safe for breastfeeding mothers. We give it our highest safety rating. See the article that I have linked at the bottom for more info about OTC medications.

The two most common prescription medications for cough are codeine and benzonatate (Tessalon). Codeine is very effective and fairly safe for breastfeeding if used in doses typically prescribed for cough suppression. Benzonatate is less effective and less well studied in terms of BF safety. Also, the Tessalon pills are small, candy-like, and very toxic to children who might pick them up off the floor.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519
    You can also post again if your doctor prescribes you another medication that is not addressed in the forums.

-James Abbey, MD

http://www.infantrisk.com/content/over-counter-treatments-cough-and-cold

Comment

Working...
    X