Safe medicines for flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe medicines for flu

I am exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old infant and currently have the flu.
    Is there anything I can safely take to ease the pain in my throat so it doesn't hurt when I swallow? I'm trying to drink enough to not affect my milk supply but finding it extremely hard to swallow.
    I have been taking ibuprofen and sucking on lozenges that contain Menthol (10.6mg) and Eucalyptus Oil (4.6mg).
    Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Dear Duvessa,

You may consider alternating acetaminophen and ibuprofen for pain relief, but you should consult with your physician for specific recommendations. Benzocaine throat sprays are not recommended during breastfeeding as they may cause methemoglobinemia. There is a lack of data on throat sprays containing phenol such as Chloraseptic; therefore, are not recommended during breastfeeding. Lozenges containing menthol are likely compatible with breastfeeding as menthol is minimally transferred into breastmilk. Lozenges containing zinc are compatible as long as the amount used is less than 50 mg daily. Zinc is transferred readily into breastmilk thus high doses should be avoided.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X