Astelin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astelin

I have a client who is nursing her 32 month old who's md has prescribed Astelin nasal spray (137 mcg/spray, 2 sprays per notsril twice daily) for her. I found the data from my copy of your 2010 Medications & Mother's Milk book, but was wondering if there is any newer information for her? Her supply isn't very plentiful and she's wondering if this would affect it any more as well? Thank you in advance.

Dear KHenryBFPC,

Azelastine (Astelin) is an antihistamine for oral, intranasal and ophthalmic administration. No data are available on the transfer of azelastine into human milk. The doses used intranasally and ophthalmically are so low that it is extremely unlikely to produce clinically relevant levels in human milk. However, this is an extremely bitter product. It is possible that there could be altered taste of the milk leading to rejection by the infant. The main risk of decreased milk supply typically is with the use of pseudoephedrine/phenylephrine decongestant products not antihistamines so this product would be unlikely to decrease her milk supply.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X