Wellbutrin and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin and breastfeeding

I have a now 6 day old baby. He was born at 36 weeks and has a UPJ obstruction. I have just been prescribed bupropion HCL XL. Is this drug safe to take and to continue to breastfeed?

Dear Kayjayjess,

Bupropion XL is known to pass minimally into breastmilk (0.2% to 2% of your dose). The time the medication would be highest in your breastmilk is 5 hours after you take your dose since you are on the XL preparation. In the studies done on infants whose mothers took this medication during breastfeeding, none of the medication was detected in these infants' blood plasma. This medication is known to be eliminated through the kidneys; however, in patients with impaired kidney function who are taking the medication directly, the dose is usually reduced or taken less often to decrease risk. Your infant should be monitored closely for agitation, restlessness, and sleep disturbance. The medication has also been known to cause decreased breastmilk production in some mothers so you should observe your supply closely. You should talk with your infant's nephrologist. If your infant's renal function is adequate, then this medication is likely compatible with breastfeeding in your case. If your infant has severely impaired renal function, this medication could build up in his/her system. You may also talk with your pediatrician about your concerns.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

What I*read*I really liked it.*Thank you for*your information!
      Last edited by Vsmislewwwwe; 10-09-2014, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X