Tardive Dyskinesia risk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tardive Dyskinesia risk?

Thank you so much for this forum. Many of my questions have already been answered.

I am suffering from PPD and am considering medication. However, I read about tardive dyskinesia and it scares me.

Have their been any known cases of an infant or child developing TD as a consequence of ingesting Zoloft or Paxil through breastmilk?

I am EBF a seven-month old and comfort/bedtime nursing a 41-month old with autism.

Thank you.

TandemMom: Tardive dyskinesia is so rare, that I had to look it up to see if it was associated with SSRIs. Apparently it is, but exceedingly rare. The amount of sertraline in milk is so low that plasma levels in infants are barely even detectable. I wouldn't worry about this condition at all.

We see TD often with the older antipsychotics, rarely today with the new atypical antipsychotics, even more rarely with many other drugs.

If you need an antidepressant, you can't go wrong with Sertraline. It may not work for you, and if so, just keep trying other ones and for sure, one of this family will work well with you.

Tom Hale R.Ph.,Ph.D.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X