Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effexor VS Cymbalta which is safer for breastfeeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effexor VS Cymbalta which is safer for breastfeeding?

I am hoping to go on an antidepressant after delivery in 8 weeks as I am suffering from bad depression and anxiety. I have been on an antidepressant before have tried (zoloft, paxil, wellbutrin and Effexor) and Effexor was what worked best for depression/anxiety/OCD and ADD. I was taken off of that 16 years ago and had to wean my baby at that time because they put me on it. They said no Effexor while bfeeding. I see there is new information out there now though.
    The pregnancy has triggered depression/anxiety I think because I had to stop taking a medication I was on for chronic pain which actually helped my depression'anxiety called tramadol.
    My doctor is not excited about trying a SNRI and wants me to try zoloft because of zolofts safety but zoloft did not do a thing for me and I think even made it worse.
    My question is which is safer Effexor or Cymbalta to take? which has less in breastmilk? And because of my chronic pain which one would be most effective most likely. I do not want narcotics as I react adversly to them and they cause me even more depression and I hear Cymbalta is good for chronic pain sufferers.
    So two questions:
    1. Effexor Vs Cymbalta safety for nursing
    2. Which would be most effective for me as a chronic pain patient
    3. Is there information I can give my doctor so he will feel comfortable subscribing this to me when I have the baby? I want to start the minute baby is born.

Thanks for any information you can give me. I am so thankful this site is here!!

Blessedmommy:

1. Cymbalta levels in milk are lower, but Effexor levels are not that high. Either should be fine.
    2. Either is probably OK, but Cymbalta has indications for chronic pain. I don't know that there much difference.
    3. Get a copy of my Medications and Mothers Milk, 2012 for the latest information on both of these drugs. Most all lactation consultants have a copy.

Good luck.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
    X