Ativan and Pumping for Premature infant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ativan and Pumping for Premature infant

Hello, I was just recently prescribed Ativan 0.5 mg PRN for panic attacks I've been having. I gave birth to my daughter at 30 weeks. She is now 35 weeks adjusted, and still in the NICU. My OB suggested that if I need to take the Ativan, that I should pump and dump all breastmilk 6 hours after I take one. Does this sound correct? I understand that she is preterm, so it could be dangerous for her to have the milk due to sedation/apnea, but does the 6 hour time frame seem correct? Could I just freeze the milk in my deep freezer for her to use when she is older? I will do whatever is necessary, I would just hate to dump milk if it is not necessary. Thank you.

Dear NicoleRN,

Lorazepam (Ativan) transfer into human milk is minimal, and it is the ideal choice for use in breastfeeding since it has a short half-life of 12 hours (compared to the parent drug valium that has a half-life of 40 hours) and is not as addicting. Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the drug to be eliminated from the body. It takes five to six half-lives for most drugs to totally be eliminated from the body. The time lorazepam is highest in your milk is two hours after you take your dose so avoid pumping/breastfeeding at that time. It is usually best to pump first then take your dose. Because you are taking a low dose, the risk to your infant is small. Benzodiazepines such as lorazepam should only be used intermittently, short-term and low dose during lactation. Observe for sedation in the breastfed infant. Since your infant is still in NICU, the staff can monitor your infant. Label your breastmilk bags with the date/time of pumping and the name of the medication and time the dose was taken. They can also dilute the dose by mixing in breastmilk that doesn't contain the medication since you are only taking lorazepam as needed. If you have further questions, call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 CDT.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 07-19-2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X