venlafaxine XR and clonazepam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• venlafaxine XR and clonazepam

Since I posted here about my decision not to breastfeed, I have begun to hope that maybe, just maybe, my care provider was a bit too conservative. I take venlafaxine XR, 225 mg/day and clonazepam, 4 mg/day. I take the venlafaxine in two doses--150 mg in the morning and 75 mg in the afternoon (capsules). I take the clonazepam in six doses--1 mg in the morning, .5 mg mid-morning, 1 mg in the afternoon, .5 early evening, 1 mg at bedtime.

I have two questions: obviously, my first question is whether or not you'd recommend breastfeeding at all on that high a dose of clonazepam. Second, if you recommend "watching for sedation" or something like that, could you explain exactly what that means?

I know that this forum is for medical professionals, but I have seen so many professionals and heard something different from each. Can you help?

DoNotFaint:

Whether or not to breastfeed while taking these meds is always a tough question. With sedating drugs, such as clonazepam, we always advise moms to observe the infant for sedation, or sleepiness. Heavily sedated babies sleep too much, may not gain as much weight, and may be at higher risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

This is why we warn moms to observe the infant for being overly sedated.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful response. You've confirmed my decision to use donor milk--for my own mental health, I will choose not to introduce these fears. Baby will get breastmilk, and my anxiety will not spike through the roof while I worry that s/he won't wake up. I have already looked into it, and will make it a bigger and bigger project as my due date approaches to have a nice supply of milk from healthy mamas in a deep freeze. All this time to prepare will help my family so much.

The work you do is so important. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Anne-Marie

Comment

Working...
      X