Deplin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deplin

I have just began taking Deplin and a B12 supplement due to a genetic marker (MTHFR) which does not allow my body to absorb B12 and other vitamins. I want to continue breastfeeding at least for the first year. If I am deficient in B12 due to my malabsorption my child will be as well if I rely solely on nursing. It seems that taking Deplin is the only alternative for me. However, I am worried that Deplin even though a medical "food" is not good for my child. I have been pumping for two days while taking this and I do not want to dry up.

Thank you for your assistance.

Angela:

Deplin (l-methylfolate) is the active form of folic acid, a natural vitamin supplement. It should be quite safe for a breastfeeding infant. B12 is quite safe for breastfeeding infants as well. See data below.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Vitamin B-12 is also called cyanocobalamin and is used for the treatment of pernicious anemia. It is an essential vitamin that is secreted in human milk at concentrations of 0.1 µg/100 mL. B-12 deficiency is very dangerous (severe brain damage) to an infant. Vegan mothers and certain other vegetarians should be supplemented during pregnancy. Milk levels vary in proportion to maternal serum levels.[1] Vegetarian mothers may have low levels unless supplemented. Supplementation of nursing mothers is generally recommended.

L-Methylfolate, also called Metafolin, is the active biological isomer of folate and the form of circulating folate. Approximately 10% of the population lacks the enzymes necessary to metabolic folic acid to L-methylfolate. L-Methylfolate is the form transported across cell membranes, and is bioactive. No data are available on the transport of this form of folate into human milk. However, several studies of folic acid supplementation in breastfeeding mothers clearly suggest that folate is actively transported into human milk, but most importantly, supplementing of the mother only marginally if at all, increases milk folate levels.[1,2] This suggests that even following supplementation, milk levels would be unlikely to increase, unless the mother is deficient. Thus, this product is probably not hazardous to use in a breastfeeding mother.

Comment

Working...
    X