Klonopin and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klonopin and breastfeeding

My son is 6 weeks old. I have bad ppd that isn't being managed well by my current medicine. 40mg celexa and 75mg wellbutrin daily. I am exclusively pumping. My son's pediatrician said "occasional" use of klonopin is safe. I took 0.5mg last night and felt SO much better. Is that dose safe to take daily? (My dose prepregnancy was 2mg three times a day but I didn't ever take it during pregnancy.) Is 1mg safe to take daily? I'm 5'5 and 220lbs if that matters. I want to continue giving breastmilk exclusively but my mental health is on the line.

Love, thanks for posting,

Klonopin (clonazepam) is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 2.8% of your dose. It does have a long half-life of 18-50 hours. Monitor the infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, apnea, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain. Try to keep your dose low, 0.5-1mg a day is probably ok as long as the infant is not symptomatic. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X