breastfeeding and methylphenidate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breastfeeding and methylphenidate

I have ADHD and I would like to start with my medication. but I'm still breastfeeding. My son is 9 months and do not really want to stop yet. just can not find or can be used together. in the Netherlands , there is not very much is known about the effects on children during breastfeeding.

Hi, thanks for your post.

We have a discussion of ADHD medications on our other website:
    http://mommymeds.com/content/adhd

Please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

I read that it can coexist. but is there really a scientific research available that I can show my doctor. and there must be a minimum time between taking the medication and give the feeding. I get 3 times 20mg ritalin

Comment

Here are some sources that describe how much Ritalin gets into breastmilk. You doctor should be able to see that it is safe based on this information:

1. Hackett LP, Ilett KF, Kristensen JH, Kohan R, Hale TW. Infant dose and safety of breastfeeding for dexamphetamine and methylphenidate in mothers with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: 40. 2005;27(2):220-221
        2. Hackett LP, Kristensen JH, Hale TW, Paterson R, Ilett KF. Methylphenidate and breast-feeding. The Annals of pharmacotherapy. Oct 2006;40(10):1890-1891
        3. Spigset O, Brede WR, Zahlsen K. Excretion of methylphenidate in breast milk. The American journal of psychiatry. Feb 2007;164(2):348

Comment

and there is to add a certain amount of time between the taking of the medication and lactation

Comment

No, the half-life of these medications is too long to schedule around. Breastfeed as normal, but try to make at least one session of the day just before you take your dose.

Comment

Working...
            X