Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderall 20 Mg XR & Prozac 20 Mg

Hello,

I am breastfeeding currently with my son who is 19 months old 32 lbs and breastfeeds 2-3x a day between 4-7am (1) then again around 6-10pm (2) and the last if he doesn't sleep thru the night ( he will rarely, but he has never slept for more than 8 hours since he's been born) would be between 2-4am it's different every night. I have been taking Adderall XR 20 mg for 4 months and Adderall 10 mg (when needed) for a month now which is what I took before coming pregnant with him to help my ADHD. I recently been struggling with my higher education and have been feeling very I guess stressed and very down. My doctor just prescribed me Prozac (Fluxotine) 20 mg. I guess what I'm asking is, is this okay to take in combination with one another all while breastfeeding. We have not seen any effect from the Adderall in our son since I have been taking it. He also eats whenever he wants and with intake cows milk during the day. He is a very high spirited child and strong willed. I have also been trying my extreme hardest to discontinue breastfeeding, it is hard for me to see him struggle with missing this special connection we share, but I feel so exhausted and ashamed of breastfeeding and taking medications that I know I need to function properly, and I don't want anything to harm my son.

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by starluna; 01-01-2015, 03:13 PM.

Hi, thanks for your post.

Adderall and Prozac are discussed at the links below. The bottom line is that these meds are generally pretty safe to use while breastfeeding. There is no added risk from using them together. Think linked article about antidepressants portrays Prozac (fluoxetine) as the one with the highest risk. In your case, the risks are lower because toddlers get less milk relative to their body weight than infants and their ability to process and eliminate medicine approaches that of an adult. You are also on the lowest dose of Prozac that is commonly prescribed. Just watch for any new changes in mood and sleeping patterns when you add the Prozac. Don't be ashamed of doing what you think is best for your family.

http://mommymeds.com/content/adhd
    http://mommymeds.com/content/antidepressant-use-during-pregnancy-and-breastfeeding

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question. (806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X