Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lamictal possibly affecting baby

Hello,

I have been nursing my infant while taking 90 mg of Cymbalta and 100 mg of lamictal since baby was approximately 9 months old. She is now over 12 months. I felt comfortable using these based on things I read here as well as research I had found.

My question is regarding lamictal. I know that it can act as a blood thinner, and today while my daughter was giving a blood sample I noticed she bled quite a bit. Do you think this could be related to the lamictal? Should I discontinue nursing?

Thank you.

Hi, thanks for your post.

In rare cases, Lamictal (lamotrigine) can cause increased bleeding by lowering platelet counts or fibrinogen levels. Both of these can be tested easily from a blood sample. If either platelets or fibrinogen are significantly out of range, Lamictal exposure is a possible cause. Take this lab work to your pediatrician and have a discussion about the risks vs benefits of continued breastfeeding.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X