Lexapro and lorazepam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexapro and lorazepam

I am nursing a 15 month old who still nurses frequently. My dr prescribed both lorazepam (0.5 mg once daily) and Lexapro (10 MG)

I have not started the Lexapro as my son's pediatrician says the two together could cause serious sedation in him. My dr disagrees. I am unsure how to proceed. Anxiety is my primary issue and I would prefer not to have crippling anxiety while waiting for the Lexapro to kick in.

I am wondering about the maximum amount of the lorazepam that I need to stay under, whether the two are safe together and individually. Thank you.

Hi, thanks for your post.

Both lorazepam and lexapro are compatible with breastfeeding at typical dosages and in combination. It is possible, though unlikely, that these meds will cause sedation in your child. Toddlers consume much less breastmilk relative to their body weight than infants and their ability to handle incidental medication exposure approaches that of an adult. Women have successfully breastfed infants on high-dose lorazepam (2.5-3mg per day). Just watch your child for a change in his mental status and adjust either your medication or breastfeeding habits accordingly.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Hi there,
      I have been prescribed these same two medications. However, my daughter that I am breastfeeding is only 2 months old. The Lexapro is 10 mg (working my way up from 2.5 mg, to 5 mg, to 7.5 mg to 10 mg) and the Lorazepam is .5 mg. Does the age of my child change your response from what you told apifera above? I also want to know how much of each medicine goes into the breastmilk and how this may/may not affect my daughter. My husband is concerned since drugs.com showed that breastfeeding moms should not take either of these medications.

Thank you.

Comment

Jubble11,

Lexapro (escitalopram) is rated an L2-limited data probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk 5.2-7.9% of your dose. Recent and good data now show that levels in milk are low, and that plasma levels of escitalopram are low to undetectable in most infants. Monitor your infant for sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Ativan (lorazepam) is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 2.6-2.9% of your dose. If the dose is kept low and your infant is not symptomatic than it is probably ok to continue to breastfeed. This medication is most concentrated in the milk in the first 2 hours after taking it so breastfeed before taking the medication so you have a break period before feeding again. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

I've been taking Lorazepam (Ativan) 2.5 mg for years. It worked well for my anxiety. Although it seems to wear off extremely fast. I actually split the pill in two, take a half before bed, and take the other half when I wake up at night.
          P.S. I bought them from [url]http://generic-meds-store.com[/url]. It is a reputable site and their stuff works great! I have never had any problems with my orders.
          Last edited by pauline47; 06-03-2016, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X