Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effexor and baby weight gain

Hello,

I was switched to venlafaxine when my daughter was probably around 10 months old. She is now 2 years and 9 months and 52 lbs- in the 100th percentile. We are seeing genetics for her to rule out any obesity-related disorders. She does not have prader-willi, has a great and varied diet, and is not obsessed with food, nor eat abnormal portions. Her weight jumped percentiles when she was only on purées and BLW some solids-not much food at all.

I have gained 30 lbs on this drug and am hoping to taper off, and now I’m worried that her excessive weight gain might actually be due to my medication- since it made me gain so much weight. Is this at all possible? I take 75 mg. She is still nursing several times each day/night.

I would appreciate any insight.

Thank you.

Laney:

Weight gain is a "possible" side effect of Venlafaxine. But so is weight loss. Below is from the package insert for venlafaxine but this is for the direct administration of venlafaxine to children, NOT via milk where levels will be much lower.

I think you should probably assume, that weight gain may be a possibility for you and your infant.

Tom Hale PhD.

from package insert:

The risks associated with longer term venlafaxine hydrochloride extended-release capsules use were assessed in an open-label MDD study of children and adolescents who received venlafaxine hydrochloride extended-release capsules for up to six months. The children and adolescents in the study had increases in weight that were less than expected, based on data from age- and sex-matched peers. The difference between observed weight gain and expected weight gain was larger for children (< 12 years old) than for adolescents (≥ 12 years old).

Comment

Working...
    X