Pristiq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pristiq

I have tp switch from zoloft due to many side effects. unfortunately, i’ve tried numerous medications over the years, but haven’t been able to take many successfully. the only medication that has helped decrease my panic attacks is klonopin. however, i only use it sparingly and would like to avoid it as much as possible while breastfeeding. since i’m out of most options, the psychiatrist suggested that i start taking pristiq. but when i picked it up, i saw the warnings on the leaflet. does anyone have any experience on the safety of taking pristiq while breastfeeding. my daughter is 8 months old. during pregnancy, i was on remeron, but it contributed to high blood sugar and gestational diabetes, so i e been weaning off of it.

violetdaisy13,

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 5.9-9.3% of your dose. A normal dose is 50-100mg a day. " Desvenlafaxine is an active metabolite of venlafaxine with similar antidepressant activity. Desvenlafaxine does enter the milk in moderate amounts, however no side-effects have been reported following exposure in lactation. The total anti-depressant dose to the infant following desvenlafaxine therapy is only 41-45% of that following venlafaxine therapy, and may therefore be preferred over venlafaxine for the treatment of postpartum depression." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). We think it is probably ok to use this medication and breastfeed as long as your baby is not symptomatic, monitor your infant for sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding, and weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X