Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half an ambien - 5mg- how long to clear from system so can breastfeeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half an ambien - 5mg- how long to clear from system so can breastfeeding?

Hi, I'm just wondering if I took half an ambien (5mg- ) how long does it take to clear from my system before I can breastfeeding again.
    Thank you

Dear heleng

The time Ambien would be most concentrated in your milk is at one and one half hours after you take the dose. One half of your dose will be out of your system by two and one half to five hours. You need approximately six half-lives (30hours) for it to be completely out of your system.

If your infant sleeps throughout the night, i would suggest taking your medication during that time to minimize your infant's exposure. The baby should be monitored for sedation and poor feeding. If Ambien is taken for a long period of time then stopped, the breastfed infant may experience withdrawal symptoms. Furthermore, please keep in mind that the use of sedatives in breastfeeding mothers is of some concern, particularly those with premature or young neonates, and those with weak infants. This drug should be avoided in mothers with infants subject to apnea.

For further questions please contact the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519.

Tassneem Abdel Karim MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Zopiclone instead of ambien?

Thank you for your reply. I'm reluctant to take the ambien now and I'm wondering if half a zopliclone( zimmovane in Europe ) would be a preferable drug in relation to ilk levels,elimination time etc
      Your help greatly appreciated

Comment

Dear Heleng

The use of Zopiclone while breastfeeding your infant is probably safe. The time it would be most concentrated in your milk is at one and one half hours after you take the dose. One half of your dose will be out of your system by four to five hours. Zopiclone is one of the preferred sedatives during breastfeeding, because it has a small RID (Relative Infant Dose) of 1.5%.

However, observe your baby for sedation. Please be very cautious when using sedatives in breastfeeding if your baby is premature, is a young neonate, or is subject to apnea.

Tassneem Abdel Karim MD
        InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
        X