Wellbutrin and exclusivley breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin and exclusivley breastfeeding

I have had anxiety and difficulty sleeping (when I could be sleeping) since giving birth to my son who is almost 6 months old. My doctor just prescribed me 100mg dose 1xdaily but I am nervous about the effects on my son and my milk supply. Is this a safe medication to take and does it cause milk production issues?

Mchase,

Wellbutrin is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is only 0.11-1.99% of your dose. Many mothers breastfeed without complications on Wellbutrin. There have been 3 case reports where the Wellutrin may have suppressed moms milk supply. "Two cases of seizure have been reported via breastmilk exposure; however, a febrile seizure could not be ruled out in one of the cases."(Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). We think it is probably ok to nurse your infant on this low dose as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor your infant for sedation or irritability, seizures, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X