X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandra
    replied
    Jfoshey, thanks for posting,

Atarax is rated L2-limited data-probably compatible. No data are available on its secretion into breast milk, but since it is largely metabolized to cetrizine, its pharmacological behavior should be similar. Cetirizine is one of the preferred antihistamines during breastfeeding since it is non-sedating. Nevertheless, observe for sedation in the breastfed infant. Other possible side effects would include dry mouth, constipation, and urinary retention, but these are unlikely to occur if used only a few times a week.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-5082. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Leave a comment:

• jfoshey
    replied
    dosage question

Do you think 25mg of atarax a few times a week would be okay for a breastfeeding mom? My daughter is 6 months old.

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied
    Dear S-Lana

Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine, that is also used to relief symptoms of anxiety and tension. It is probably okay to breastfeed while on this medication. No data are available on Hydroxyzine's secretion into breastmilk, but since it is largely metabolized to cetrizine, its pharmacological behavior should be similar to that of cetrizine. Cetirizine is one of the preferred antihistamines during breastfeeding since it is non-sedating.

Nevertheless, I would suggest you observe for sedation in the breastfed infant.

Tassneem Abdel Karim MD
    InfantRisk Center

Leave a comment:

• s_lana
    started a topic Atarax and Breastfeeding

Atarax and Breastfeeding

I'm writing from Russia.
    2 and 3 trimester of pregnancy I was in depression and severe anxiety. Had insomnia, panic attacks. I did not take drugs, I suffered this terrible condition.
    My baby was born at the appointed time. After that my doctor has ordered me Phenibut (Gamma-amino-beta-phenylbutirate hydrochloride) 1 tablet at night . This was one month. Anxiety persisted and then canceled Phenibut doctor and appointed Atarax (Hydroxyzine) dose 1 tablet per night. While I take half of the tablet (I am afraid to take the whole tablet). It helps me sleep a little and reduces anxiety.
    But I'm worried about how much it is safe for my daughter. I don?t want to have any negative impact on the child.
    What is your opinion about that? What would you recommend me?
    Thank you in advance for your help.
Working...
X