Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xanax vs Klonopin

Greetings,
    I am currently exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old baby. I did not take any medications during my pregnancy or since giving birth. I have been experiencing intense anxiety and mood swings and insomnia. I am currently seeing a therapist for talk therapy and have an appointment with a psychiatrist to discuss possible medication next week. My child now sleeps through the night 8-6:30. My question is: can I take .5mg Xanax or .25mg Klonopin around 8pm after his last feeding and be ok to breastfeed him at 7am the next day? What are the risks of each? Is one better for calming racing thoughts and promoting sleep? I am feeling desperate because of the sleep deprivation. Thank you in advance.

I’m not terribly fond of Xanax as it is so terribly addictive. I’d suggest Klonopin is safer, however this is between you and your doctor. A better choice for breastfeeding is Ativan. Levels in milk are minuscule. But you really need to get on an antidepressant such as Zoloft which is very effective in treating anxiety disorders and is quite safe for a breastfeeding infant. Talk with your psychiatrist about this.

Tom Hale R.Ph. Ph.D

Comment

Working...
    X