X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• admin
    replied
    GreatLakesMom:

We have no data that I've seen suggesting Zoloft "concentrates" in milk over the day. I don't believe it at all. The transfer of Zoloft into human milk is almost negligible, one of the lowest levels of all the antidepressants. From many prior studies, we find the infant gets very little of this drug. For the most part, we can't even find it in the blood of the infant.

At 9.5 months, the amount of milk the infant receives is beginning to decrease, hence the dose of any drug is lower as well. Further, the infant is far far more able at 9.5 months to metabolize and get rid of the minuscule levels of Zoloft that may be in milk.

Believe me, the risk of your depression is far far more than the risk of this drug. Take the med and enjoy your infant.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Leave a comment:

• GreatLakesMom
    started a topic Weaning to Reduce Zoloft Exposure

Weaning to Reduce Zoloft Exposure

I apologize for posting twice; my first post got no response, so I thought I’d try again. I have moderate to severe postpartum depression, so my physician prescribed Zoloft. I’ve been terrified to expose my son (9.5 months) to anything, so I thought I’d wean him to mostly formula and just nurse 1-2 times a day to reduce his exposure. I enjoy nursing him, so I don’t necessarily want to wean, but I’m trying to do what’s safest for him. However, I was told that Zoloft collects in the milk over the day, so I wouldn’t actually be reducing his exposure by nursing less. Instead, I would just be giving him a concentrated exposure all at once. Does Zoloft collect in milk like this, or can I reduce his exposure by nursing less? Also, does his age (being an older infant) reduce the risk? I haven’t started the Zoloft yet as I’m too nervous to expose him without researching this.
Working...
X