X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandra
    replied
    Strahan,

Wellbutrin can be used while nursing a newborn infant as long as the infant is not symptomatic, and the medication is within the normal dose range of 150-300mg. Monitor for sedation or irritability, seizures, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Leave a comment:

• Strahan
    replied
    Hi Sandra, so Wellbutrin is safe regardless of the baby's age? Even from birth? I thought I'd ask just to be sure. Thanks.
    Last edited by Strahan; 07-22-2022, 02:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sandra
    replied
    Featherblue,

Wellbutrin is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is only 0.11-1.99% of your dose. There have been two case reports of seizures, one of them a febrile seizure could not be ruled out. Many women breastfeed without complications with this medication. We think it is ok to nurse as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor your infant for sedation or irritability, seizures, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain. The half-life is 8-24 hours if you are uncomfortable nursing on this medication 24 hours should be a sufficient amount of time to wait to nurse.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Leave a comment:

• Featherblue
    started a topic Wellbutrin and weaning

Wellbutrin and weaning

Hello, thank you again for this wonderful resource. I weaned my 14month old two weeks ago to start Wellbutrin. I would like to discontinue the Wellbutrin and nurse her again. She has been having a very hard time (and me!). How long should I wait after stopping the medication before I breastfeed her again? From my research the half-life is 21 hours but it is likely to stay in my system much longer? Do you think the risk of seizure is decreased after the first 24 hours? It has also been two weeks, so I guess she is unlikely to get very much at first.
    Edited to add: I’ve been taking the 150mg once daily

Thank you
    Last edited by Featherblue; 06-28-2018, 10:23 PM.
Working...
X