Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin

Hello-

I have chronic depression and have been on generic Welbutrin 300mg XL for 3 years before I got pregnant. Stopped taking at 4wks pregnant. Now I'm 9 months postpartum and really want to get back on my medicine. My doctor prescribed me the lower dose of 150mg XL. I got it filled but am nervous. I'm not a risk taker and had a completely natural birth because I just really don't like drugs at all lol. But feel this is necessary. I don't want anything to happen to my little guy. Would this be considered safe or no longer recommended? I cannot take SSRIs . Thanks!

Peppermint:

At 9 months I don't think bupropion would be contraindicated at all. That said, there are now 2 case reports of infants whom have had seizures while being exposed to bupropion in milk. In the first case report the infant had a seizure at 6 months of age, this seizure occurred after the mother had taken two doses of 150 mg SR about 36 hours apart (she had been on the drug pre-pregnancy/then stopped during pregnancy). At the time of the seizure the infant was not known to be febrile but did have a respiratory tract infection; therefore, a febrile seizure could not be ruled out. The seizure did not recur (although the mother switched to sertraline for a few days then stopped all drug therapy and continued breastfeeding).

I think this was a rare side effect. Thousands of women have used this product without a problem. I do worry a bit about your Prolactin levels and therefore your milk production. I'd suggest you start taking a low dose and progress upward over a month or so. Talk with your doctor about this.

Tom Hale Ph.D.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Thank you so much! So the dose of 36 hours apart was taken correctly right? Mine is once a day, so 24 hours apart. And are these 2 cases out of thousands? So a very small percentage? Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X