Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to take a break between Prozac and lexapro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to take a break between Prozac and lexapro?

Thank you again for providing this wonderful resource.
    My third baby is 6mo, almost 7mo old. I have been on Prozac 20mg since she was born (and 10mg in pregnancy after 20w). It was increased to 40mg about 2 mo ago. I am still not feeling well. My doctor would like to try switching me to Lexapro 20mg. She said I can switch directly tomorrow. Will this be safe for my nursing baby? Is lexapro a safe choice for her? I have chronic low milk supply, so I only make probably half or less of what she consumes. She is also on solids.

Many thanks

Featherblue,

Lexapro (escitalopram) is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 5.2-7.9% of your dose. "Recent and good data now show that levels in milk are low, and that plasma levels of escitalopram are low to undetectable in most infants. While the number of case reports in the literature are still low, it would appear this medication is suitable to use in breastfeeding mothers." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). Monitor your infant for sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X