Wellbutrin and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin and breastfeeding

I was recently prescribed Wellbutrin for depression/anxiety. I am currently breastfeeding my 6 month old baby and am concerned about the possible side effects that she may have due to me taking this med. I am trying to decide if I should stop breastfeeding in order to start taking it.

tee3126,

Wellbutrin is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is minimal only 0.1-1.99% of yours dose. There have two possible seizures reported. The first case report they could not rule out a febrile seizure because the baby had a respiratory tract infection. The second case report the mom was on already on escitalopram and added Wellbutrin and about a week later the baby started having episodes that led to seizures. Many mothers are able to breastfeed without complications on this medication so we say it is probably ok as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor for sedation or irritability, seizures, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain, reduced milk supply.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Great post. Consulting your physician can really help you out from this problem and doubts will be cleared.

Comment

Working...
      X