Topamirate and Diamox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topamirate and Diamox

I am 27 years old with a condition called Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. Until just recently I was med free until I started having problems again. Now I probably need to go back on to Topamirate and Diamox to treat the symptoms. From what I see both of these are okay to be taken during breastfeed, but the combination together? And if I am able to continue breastfeeding would you have any recommendations on how to follow through with it?

Edited to add: My son is almost 3 months old is was a full term baby (born 39 weeks).

Cmooijweer:

About 2% of the dose of Acetazolamide(Diamox) enters milk, and about 24% of the dose of topiramate gets to the infant via milk. So acetazolamide is probably of minimal risk. Topiramate is somewhat more risky, as the dose is so high. The plasma concentrations in two infants were 10-20% of the maternal plasma level, which is probably subclinical. That said, the pediatrician should followup your infant closely with blood levels. I think it will be OK.

Taking both together reportedly may modestly increase the risk of nephrolithiasis (kidney stones), but this is probably minimal in an infant.

Tom Hale Phd.

Comment

Working...
    X