Lamictal and 13 month-old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamictal and 13 month-old

I recently saw a psychiatrist who would like to put me on Lamictal (generic name Lamotrigine) for possible Bipolar II diagnosis. She wanted me to get the okay from my son's pediatrician first. The pediatrician is disinclined to authorize it because it is a Class C/L3 risk category. I feel conflicted because my son is over a year old and only nurses 4 times a day. I was planning to let him self-wean but at the same time I know I need to get to the bottom of what is causing my symptoms. I honestly have no idea how I am supposed to wean him without tears for both of us. Does anyone have information about this or any alternative medication for treating Bipolar II?

Dear mandab,
    Lamotrigine has been shown to transfer into milk and it is important to check the child's serum levels of lamotrigine periodically. Breastfeeding is not contraindicated in a mother taking this medication, however, because it is an anticonvulsant it can cause sedation and in young infants this can lead to apnea. In an older child, the amount of milk the mom is producing is less and therefore the exposure to this drug will also be less. Hope this is helpful.
    Maria Milla, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Thank you Dr. Hale for taking the time to reply. I will contact my lactation consultant on how to wean. Thanks Again!

Comment

I don't know how I was able to post this question here. I am not a lactation professional. My apologies! I will post in the Mothers with Special Conditions section. Is it possible to delete this thread?

Comment

Working...
        X