Trileptal and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trileptal and breastfeeding

My doctor has prescribed me 150mg of Trileptal for Bipolar Disorder. Eventually she thinks 300mg is the appropriate level for me. My son is six months and we are currently breastfeeding.

Clong912,

Trileptal is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. You are on a low dose as the normal dose is 300-600mg twice a day. You could continue to nurse as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor for sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding, diarrhea and weight gain; if clinical symptoms arise check liver function and/or CBC. "In a brief and somewhat incomplete study of a pregnant patient who received 300 mg three times daily while pregnant, plasma levels were studied in her infant for the first 5 days postpartum while the infant was breastfeeding. While no breastmilk levels were reported, plasma levels of this drug were essentially the same as the mothers' immediately after delivery, suggesting complete transfer transplacentally of the drug. However, while breastfeeding for the next 5 days, plasma levels of MHD in the infant declined significantly. No neonatal side effects were reported by the authors." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD).

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X