Xarelto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xarelto

I am currently breastfeeding my 12 month old twice a day on Lovenox. I was taking reglan to help with milk supply, but I recently stopped and my supply tanked. My baby only nurses for 1-2 minutes on each side before getting frustrated, and my breasts have felt empty all of the time.

My hematologist will no longer prescribe me lovenox, as I have already been on it for two years. I need to switch to xarelto, 20 mg once a day. Would it be safe to continue breastfeeding on xarelto?

i should add that I currently only feed him at nap times, at 9 am and 1 pm. I would be taking the xarelto at bed time.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Karabear; 09-09-2017, 06:41 PM.

Karabear,

Xarelto is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. We only have one case report with which milk samples where collected. The milk samples were taken on day 3 at 3, 6 and 10 hours after the morning dose. "The relative infant dose was 1.3% using the Cavg from the 10 hour collection period. It should be noted that this infant was not breastfed, thus safety data in lactation are still unavailable." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD.) Since your infant is older and not breastfeeding very often it would probably be ok to nurse as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor for rare-bruising on the skin, blood in urine, vomit or stool.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X