Oxaliplatin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxaliplatin

I was wondering if there was any new research on oxaliplatin? I saw a post from maybe last year saying it wasn't safe. Is this still true? I'm pregnant with my 3rd baby, and am going through chemo for rectal cancer. If there is any glimmer of hope that I could breastfeed, I'd love to, but I don't want to cause harm to my babe either. He's being exposed to it now intrauterine.

Also, a really random question, but would my milk be safe to handle, even if it's not safe for consumption? I'd like to get some jewelry made with milk from all 3 of my kids, but I'm not sure if it would even be safe for someone to handle it.

Thanks for any info you have!

Hi Allykat08,

I think it's unlikely that you could safely breastfeed for this child. If you are highly motivated, I suggest you pump and discard until you have a measured milk level that is safe. To do this, you will need to find a commercial lab that will analyze the platinum level in your milk. I've heard other moms have had success with Lactation Lab ([url]https://lactationlab.com/%C2%A0%C2%A0[/url]) for this with a custom order.

As for milk jewelry, I'm not sure about safe handling. It would depend on how it is prepared and presented. In the medical field, we would consider it hazardous. If you waited until tested the milk and levels were low, it seems reasonable to try at that point.

Kaytlin Krutsch, PharmD

Comment

Working...
    X