X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandra
    replied
    Tjs2016,

Pump and dump for a minimum of 24 hours after Fluorouracil.

"Currently there are no studies available on the transfer of leucovorin into human milk. However, considering that leucovorin is basically an active form of folic acid, which is a physiological nutrient, it is highly unlikely that leucovorin should cause any significant harm to the breastfed infant." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). The half-life is 3.5-6.2 hours. Monitor for vomiting and diarrhea.

"Oxaliplatin is extensively bound in peripheral tissues, which accounts for its extraordinarily long terminal elimination half-life (391 hours). While breastmilk levels are unavailable, but are probably low, breastfeeding is not advisable and should probably be discontinued for this infant, unless milk platinum levels could be measured. Two options are suggested. One, breastmilk should be tested for platinum levels and not used as long as they are measurable. Two, without measuring platinum levels, breastfeeding should be permanently interrupted for this infant." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). You may be able to have your milk tested by the National Medical Services in Pennsylvania. They have a "platinum fluid" test, the test is fluid 3783 I believe, but not sure if that would include breast milk.

Pump and dump for a minimum of 6 days for low doses (60 mg/square meter) or longer for high prolonged doses of Irinotecan.

Separate pump parts would be advisable.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519
    Last edited by Sandra; 01-31-2018, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tjs2016
    started a topic How long do I need to dump my milk

How long do I need to dump my milk

Hello, I will be starting chemo soon and wondering how long my milk will be contaminated for. The drugs I will be given are;
    Fluorouracil (5fu), Leucovorin Calcium, Oxaliplatin, and Irinotecan.

Also some people have told told me I need a separate pump and pump parts when dealing with my contaminated milk, is this true? Do o have to dispose of my milk in a special way?
Working...
X