Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metronidazole and Clindamycin

Hello,

I received two prescriptions today for an infection I have - 500mg of metronidazole taken twice a day (total of 1000mg daily) and 150mg of clindamycin taken four times a day (total of 600mg daily). I am breastfeeding my 11 week old son and am concerned with taking these medications, however they are necessary given the infection I have. Should this be safe?

Thank you!
    Erin

Emmuil,

Metronidazole is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 12.6-13.5% of your dose. Although it is a moderate amount of transfer it is important to remember it is used at higher therapeutic doses in infants than what is passed into the breast milk. We say it is probably ok to breastfeed as long as your infant is not symptomatic, monitor for dry mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, rash, and the urine may turn brown.

Clindamycin is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 0.9-1.8% of your dose. This medication has a short half-life of about 2.5 hours so we recommend taking after breastfeeding so you have a break before nursing again. The amount transferred is very small, but monitor your infant for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush.

The fact that both of these medications have similar side effects may slightly increase the risk of GI upset and thrush, depending on the duration of use.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X