Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z-pak and Tesslon pearls....

Hi....New here and have a major question
    I have bronchitis and have been taking a z-pak (Azithromycin) 250mg and Benzonatate(tesslon pearls) 100mg for 4 days and need to know for sure if they are safe since I breast pump and give to my 2 1/2 wk old....but hes been on formula for 3 days now, I have still been pumping and putting in the fridge and really need to know if its safe to give him this milk or dump it cause of anything bad, since I cant seem to get a better than use caution answer.....He seems more fussy while on straight formula, he wasn't to bad while on a mix of formula and breastmilk since I cant produce enough breastmilk to last him a full day...and now my one breast is not producing much at all....not sure if thats the meds or me worring about him and this milk and now his fussiness.....Any help would be great!!!!
    Thanks
    Takodasmom

Dear Takodasmom,

Azithromycin minimally transfers into breastmilk and thus is thought to be compatible with breastfeeding. Observe for diarrhea in your infant. We do not have data on transfer of Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) into breastmilk. We know that the time the medication would be highest in your breastmilk would be within the first hour after your dose so you would want to avoid breastfeeding during that time. The half-life (time it takes for half of the medication to be eliminated) is slightly less than eight hours. The main risk with this medication is sedation. In infants younger than two months, there is a risk of apnea with excessive sedation so you should observe your infant closely if you decide to breastfeed with this medication. Also, this medication in overdose is a dangerous product in children leading to seizures, cardiac arrest and death so if you have toddlers or older children in your home, you should keep this medication in a safe storage area. For prescription antitussive medications, codeine is probably a better choice during breastfeeding as we have data. We know that only small amounts of codeine enter breastmilk. Half of the medication should be eliminated in about three hours. The time the medication is highest is the first hour after your dose. This medication may cause significant sedation in a young infant so observe your infant closely. Giving one half breastmilk and one half formula may reduce the risk of sedation for your infant. Non-prescription cough medication such as dextromethorphan is the safest of the antitussive medications. The time this medication is highest in your milk is the first two hours after you take it and has a short half-life of less than four hours. You should still observe your infant for sedation. If you have further questions, please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 CDT.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X