dexomethasone and cefuroximaxetil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dexomethasone and cefuroximaxetil

For nasal polyps and sinusitis I was prescribed a course of dexamethasone- 9 days taper starting with 1 mg. I was also given an antibiotic cefuroximaxetil- 1 g for 12 days. Can I still breastfeed my 8 month old? Is the antibiotic the one that stains teeth?

Thank you
    Last edited by ilay1234; 09-20-2016, 10:38 AM.

ilay1234,

Dexamethasone is an L3-no data-probably compatible. We have no data on its transfer into milk; it is probably similar to prednisone levels in milk which are low. There is little harm in taking dexamethasone while breastfeeding, unless it is used at high doses for prolonged periods of time. A normal dose is 0.5-9mg a day so your dose is low. half of the medication is out in 3.3 hours.

Cefuroxime axetil is a prodrug of cefuroxime. It is rated an L2- limited data-probably compatible. Cefuroxime is generally regarded as safe to use in breastfeeding, and transfer into milk is minimal. The amount transferred into breast milk is only 0.6-2% of your dose. Monitor your infant for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush. This drug should not stain the teeth.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X