Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recurrent staph sinus infection don't know what kind of antibiotic I can use now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recurrent staph sinus infection don't know what kind of antibiotic I can use now?

I keep getting maxillary sinus infections. I am waiting to gave surhery in April. I have been on keflex but now it's not working. What else is a good choice for breastfeeding that would help with my infection. I have also been on augmentin but spencer and i both suffered severe gi distress so they switched it to keflex. Should I go back on augmentin even though it caused the stomach pains? I had levaquin suggested but I gave bad joint problems so that is no longer an option. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
    Kerri

Dear Kerri,

Amoxicillin, amoxicillin + clavulanate (Augmentin), doxycycline, and levofloxacin are common treatments for sinusitis, but the decision on what medication is best for your particular condition rests with your physician and yourself. The above antibiotics are all compatible with breastfeeding The first two hours are when they are highest in your milk (except for doxycycline) so try to avoid that time. Observe your child for diarrhea. Doxycycline is in the tetracycline class of antibiotics which, as a class, have been known to cause teeth staining and inhibit bone growth. Doxycycline, however, is the least teeth staining of this class of medications, and treatment for up to three weeks is thought to be acceptable in breastfeeding. Avoid the first four hours after each dose as that is when the medication is highest in your breastmilk. The dosing is once daily. If you have further questions, please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5, CT.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X