Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamiflu and breastfeeding

Hi,

I am trying to find information on whether taking Tamiflu and breastfeeding is safe. The information I found is mixed. I have an 8 month old baby who has the flu and I am nursing him. I have not gotten the flu yet but plan on taking Tamiflu once daily to prevent it but I do see infants under 1 years old cannot take it so I'm unsure if I can still nurse while taking Tamiflu. Also if I take it twice daily to treat the flu... Is it still okay while breastfeeding? Your help is greatly appreciated

Tina N.
    Pharm. D.

Ntphung03:

Yes, it is safe to use Tamiflu(Oseltamivir). The FDA has even now cleared its use in infants, and the CDC has cleared its use in breastfeeding mothers.

Tom Hale

In a recent study of one patient who was receiving 75 mg twice daily, for 5 days, the active carboxylate metabolite reached steady-state levels after 3 days and was reported to be 37-39 ng/mL.[1] Based on this data, the authors estimated the relative infant dose to be 0.5% of the maternal weight-adjusted dose. Thus, this dose is unlikely to produce clinical levels in a breastfed infant. It has recently been recommended for use in breastfeeding mothers by the CDC (Center for disease control and prevention).

Comment

Working...
    X